Macleay Valley
Arts Council Inc

Hot Club Sound System & Acoustics

• 23 May 2018 9:16 AM
    Message # 6253914
    Deleted user

Hay there - Having been a supporter of the Hot Club for a number of years, I am sorry to say that the public address system is suffering. 

The Cyril B Bunting concert was a night to remember, a truly GREAT night of boogie and jazz/blues. Unfortunately it was impossible to understand what the singer was singing or even saying between songs. The tops were just mud, in fact all the vocals were pretty much untranslatable. 

Perhaps a couple new microphones would be in order. Although inexpensive, those Behringer mics are not very good. Mind you, I am only supposing they were Behringers because the system is. 

Maybe the Hot Club could run a community muster for some better bits and pieces for the P.A.. There would be lots of good things sitting around in boxes and drawers around the place. Or even lash out and get some good Rhode or Shure mics. 

Then again maybe the problem is not in the mics, maybe it is time for a better P.A. amplifier too. 

The acoustics of the room are a challenge, but there are a couple of things that are fairly easy to do that could improve the space at very little cost. I'm not sure how strong the Hot Club budget is, but with some volunteer labour and some basic materials, vast improvements could be achieved. 

I love our Hot Club. 

May our Arts Council grow and prosper. 

Cheers for now - Mark Merritt 0427 571 770

• 26 May 2018 8:39 AM
    Reply # 6263018 on 6253914
    Anonymous member (Administrator)

Thanks for the comments Mark,

I agree with your analysis of the Cyril B Bunter audio, however, it wasn't because of bad mics. We use Shure mics. It was because the band is used to playing pub  gigs (they are by no means the only ones where this happened) and they play too loud on stage. And yes, they were asked to turn it down on stage and let the PA do the talking but they've been at this for a long time and weren't about to change for us. So yes, the vocals were buried because there was no more headroom without feedback to raise them above the on-stage amps. You may have noticed other shows where the performers allow the desk to control everything, that the vocals are not buried.

That said, if you have a spare $2500 for a nice line array, please advise soonest.

Copyright © Macleay Valley Arts Council Incorporated